Saturday, September 19, 2009

Clayton brothers


These five brothers were the sons of Thompson and Patience Malinda Clayton. The Clayton family, which also included six daughters, moved to Itawamba County between 1864 and 1866 from Alabama. As far as I have been able to determine, Thompson and Malinda moved here without other family members - no parents or siblings. Thompson bought land in Section 23, Township 10, Range 9 in eastern Itawamba County.

Nathaniel, my great-great grandfather, was the oldest son, born in 1848 in Georgia. He is pictured far left in the photograph. In fact, the brothers are lined up, left to right, according to their birth order: Nathaniel, Daniel, Elijah, Brooks and Noah. Brooks moved to Lee County, near Tupelo, and is buried in Priceville Cemetery. Noah, who was a Baptist minister, was pastoring Priceville Baptist Church at the time of his death and is also buried in that cemetery. The other brothers are buried in Itawamba County.

Marilyn Leary was very kind and generous to provide this photograph to my mother when she found out that my mother's grandmother was Nathaniel's daughter. Cousin Rita retouched and removed the crease lines from the photograph to provide the image you see here. Thank you both for your generosity.

I'll post more on each of the Clayton brothers later.

6 comments:

Don Dulaney said...

Awesome picture!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ask Cousin Rita what software program she uses to make her neat like new photos. Ron uses and teaches Photo Shop Elements to Senior Citizens. Rita does do a good job. bettye

Anonymous said...

I use Adobe 7.0. I have the Classroom in a Book for it and it has been really helpful. Rita

Kerry Clayton said...

Looking for info on Sampson Clayton born 1804 in Tennesse. Know family history until that point.

Mona Robinson Mills said...

Kerry, please e-mail me at mmills1957 AT gmail.com and we can discuss. Definitely want to hear from you!

tamara said...

I am DESPERATELY looking for information on my great-great grandfather, Sampson Clayton, born 1809 in Spartanburg, S.C. His father is believed to be Thompson Clayton Sr.I have no information on him other than DOB & DOD, who he was married to and where he is buried. I VERY much want information on his parents and siblings and about his wife. ANY info appreciated!!!