Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dollie's children

Hunter Stone, son of Ruby Costa Cofield and her husband Hugh Cowden Stone, shared this photograph of the children of John and Dollie Loyd Cofield.  My grandmother is the little girl in the middle.  The typewritten caption included with the picture was added by Hunter to identify the children.  Pauline, the youngest child of John and Dollie, was not yet born when the photograph was made so this dates it to late 1908 or early 1909.

I wish the quality of the image was better.  Unfortunately it is a scan of a photocopy, but nonetheless I'm happy to have the picture.   Before my daddy died in 2005, he told me to be sure to contact his first cousin, Hunter Stone, to get information about the Cofield family - Hunter was known as the family historian.  It wasn't until the following year that I called up Hunter one evening at his home in Florence, Alabama.  We exchanged e-mail addresses and soon I had an 80 year old e-mail buddy.   Hunter eagerly shared all of his Cofield research and family information, and in return I shared what I had learned about the Loyd family.    Hunter died in 2009.  I will always be grateful that Daddy urged me to give Hunter a call.   He was a sweet person.
Children of John & Dollie Loyd Cofield - minus Pauline who was not yet born
 
Ella Pearl Cofield, age 2-3

No comments: