Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another Fish Tale

It's been a while since I've posted any pictures with a deer or fish in them so here's one for you, and there are lots more left! This photo was taken in April 1959. Fessie is on the left, and I don't know who the fellow is with him. Fessie has on his carpenter's overalls, I see. Don't you imagine there were some "good eats" that night in Beck's kitchen? Mmmm.

UPDATE: My mother said that the other person is the photo is probably Dick Pennington, Fessie's cousin. She said that Dick used to come fish with Fessie, and the way he is standing makes her think it is he.

6 comments:

Bob Franks said...

Some nice looking catfish there. I wonder if those were caught from the Tombigbee here? And I agree with you. I bet there was some good eatin' in Peaceful Valley that night.

Don Dulaney said...

You are the mule,dog, and fish guru. Love these post. Catfishing truely captures the essence of Mississippi.

Anonymous said...

Another great picture.Remember his cap always being tilted to one side?

Mona Robinson Mills said...

I had forgotten about the askew cap, Kirk, but you are right - classic Fessie. The catfish probably came from the Tombigbee since their home was just a short walk away from the river. They didn't have the catfish ponds built then. I agree with you, Don, that catfish are synonymous with Mississippi. But do you remember growing up with fried bream, crappie and perch? I miss those fish flavors.

Tiffoni Dulaney said...

Hey Mrs. Mona,

I just started reading your blogs and it looks like you have been really busy putting them together. Dad told me about this site and I see there is a lot to learn about family history. I find it all very interesting. I love your childhood picture its so cute! Keep up the good work.

Tiffoni

Mona Robinson Mills said...

Thanks, Tiffoni. I'm so glad you find your family's history interesting - that's wonderful!