Friday, April 30, 2010

The 'other' Jesse Davis


There are two Jesse Davises buried in Providence Cemetery north of Tremont in Itawamba County, Mississippi, and I've been unable to find a connection between the two of them. The tombstone for this Jesse Davis indicates that he was born September 22, 1821 and died January 15, 1906, and that he was the son of Byrd Davis. I've been unable to find a Byrd Davis although admittedly I've haven't invested a lot of research time in doing so.

The reason I'm interested in finding more about Jesse, son of Byrd, is that my great-great-great grandfather Jesse Davis is buried in the same cemetery and was a contemporary of "the other" Jesse. My Jesse was born 1816 in Pendleton District, South Carolina. The other Jesse Davis was born in 1821, and based on his census records, in Alabama. Jesse is a very common name used in our Davis family. In fact, my Jesse's father was named Jesse.

Recently, at the D.A.R. Library in Washington D.C., I came across the following transcribed record in Pioneers of Georgia, Vol. III by Joyce D. Payne:

Jesse Davis of Wayne Co., Ga. changed his name from Jesse Bird December 14, 1819. Georgia General Assembly Minutes.

Now I'm wondering if there is a connection from that record to the Jesse Davis buried in Providence Cemetery. Unless the date of birth of the "other Jesse" is incorrect on his tombstone, the found record has to belong to yet another Jesse Davis with a "Byrd" connection. The mystery continues!

No comments: