Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pvt Harlon Jamerson

Private Harlon Wilburn Jamerson

Fulton News Beacon
July 3, 1941
List of Boys Reaching 21 Who Registered Tuesday for Draft
Harlon Jamerson, Fulton, Rt. 2

Fulton News Beacon
April 15, 1943
Reunion at Mrs. N. M. Senter's Sunday
Friends and relatives of the Senter family gathered at the home of Mrs. May Senter, Sunday, April 11th, in the honor of the home-coming of her daughter and son-in-law, Pvt. and Mrs. Harlon Jamerson of Macon, Ga.

* * *

Harlon was the son of Edgar Ellis and Martha E. Jamerson and the husband of Jessie Bane Senter. After his return from World War II, Harlon worked at the Itawamba County Hospital and served as President of the North Mississippi Executive Housekeeping Association for many years. Harlon also was a member of the American Legion Post 59. This wartime picture of Harlon was shared by his widow, Mrs. Jessie Senter Jamerson, who is the daughter of Jesse Alvin Senter and Nervia May Dulaney. Mamaw Jessie is also the grandmother of my daughter-in-law, Jada.

Thanks goes out to Cousin Rita who retouched the photo to take out its wrinkles and "love lines" from handling.


Jacque said...

Hi Mona,

My maiden name is Gillentine. My father family are from the Dorsey/Tupelo area. Do you have any geneology on them?


Mona Robinson Mills said...

Jacque, Gilletine is not one of the family surnames that I research, but if you do a search of my blog you may find a few posts with references to Gillentines. A Moore family descendant graciously shared her old photos with me, and I think there were some Moore-Gillentine marriages. Your best bet for information would probably be the Itawamba genforum website.

Arvel said...

I remember my wonder watching Harlan train coonhound puppies in the 60's when I was a child. He would drag a raccoon hide through the grass, then allow the pups to scent it and chase the skin. I believe he had some world champion hounds.

Anonymous said...

Arvel, thanks for telling us how coon hunters taught the dogs to "bay at the bottom of trees" and run squealing across the countryside. When we moved into our neighborhood in 1963, many airmen stationed at Carswell AFB lived out here and brought their coon dogs into the suburbs with them. They went coon hunting about 9:30 at night along the river bottom of the Trinity River, and for a couple or three hours, it was constant yelping from these dogs. During the day, the coon dogs barked at the mailman, the meter readers, door salesmen, you name it. Okay, I accept how your "friend" trained the dogs, but tell me: how did they train them to bark so loudly and so long without losing their "voice"/bark?

In 1963, we had less than 5,000 households, and I do believe over 3,000 of them owned a coon dog or two. When that first dog began to bark at the mailman who walked his route each morning, one of those dogs living in a backyard all the way across the bedroom community responded (we knew how distant the dog was by the weakness of the barking sound and it only got louder!). I could only thank goodness that I didn't have an infant child by then - no, he was as wild as those coon dogs running and yelling playing "cowboys and Indians." I just had a horrible thought! - was all this yelling what prepared him to become a college professor and to lecture for long periods of time? bettye