Saturday, November 8, 2008

Fulton Grammar School - circa 1940

Fulton Grammar School
Many of you will recognize this photo as being taken in front of the old grammar school in Fulton. When we moved from Greenville to Fulton while I was still in junior high school, I didn't know what a grammar school was, having come from the land of "elementary schools," but I soon caught on. Later, as an adult moving from Aberdeen to Fulton, three of our four children attended school here in this very same building. A new grammar school was recently built, but it is called an "attendance center."
My father is pictured on the front row, second from the right. You can easily see why he was nicknamed "PeeWee," a name that stuck to him through the years over his real name of James even though he didn't stay a peewee. The only other person that I know in the photograph is Wilma Comer Creely who is also on the front row, fifth from the left. I'm not sure what grade this was, probably second or third grade, maybe 1940? Can anyone identify these classmates and teacher?
UPDATE:
I've heard from Wilma Comer Creely, and she has identified most everyone in this photo.
Front row: Edward Holiday, Ann Roberts, Jean Betts, Elween Pearce, Wilma Comer, Millie Steele, unknown, Armentha Bourland, David Mattox, Lovie Moore, Peewee Robinson, and Raomi Pearce.
Second row: Galaine Reeves, ? Morris, Noel Morris, Elizabeth Miller, Dot Gaither, unknown, Louise Coker, Betty Jo Tucker, Travis Staub, Pete Miller, and Jo Pierce
Third row: Frank Pearce, ? Morris, ? Shields (not sure), Halivee Dulaney, unknown, Maureen Franks, Romie Wilemon, unknown, Frank Davis, and Otis Ray Wilson
Thanks to Natalie Creely Kline for getting in touch with her mother to get these names. If anyone can identify the unnamed individuals, or if there is a correction, please let me know.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't get over how much Penn looks like your daddy. It is amazing.

Mona Robinson Mills said...

You're right - Penn looks a lot like his grandfather, especially now. I've come across some photos of my father that could pass for Penn.