Friday, November 7, 2008

Pearl Evans Stone and children



This photo is of Mary Pearl (Evans) Stone and her children, Fred Ray Stone, Annie Maye Stone, and Julia Grace Stone; it was likely taken about 1910 or so. Pearl Evans, the daughter of John Thomas Evans and Elizabeth Ann Bishop, married William Gayland "Willie" Stone in 1897. He died just eleven years later in 1908 at the age of 31.

Annie Maye Stone, their daughter, wrote an important family history of the Stones who settled around Tremont in Itawamba County and Shottsville of Marion County, Alabama. She was married to Mautimer Dewitt Robinson, son of George Emerson Robinson and his second wife, Virginia Alice Downum.

I am connected in two ways to this family - once through the Evans as Pearl was sister to my great-grandmother Arthusa. And again through the Robinsons - Mautimer was half-brother to my great-grandfather Gideon who was married to Arthusa. If I look a little bit harder, I bet I'd find another Itawamba connection.

3 comments:

wedge firmly said...

I have a copy of the "History of the Stones" that Annie Mae put together. My mother, Ruby Stone Lancaster, is her cousin and my grandparents were Stry and Cora Belle Whitworth Stone.

Mona Robinson Mills said...

Annie Mae's book is an important contribution not just for the Stone family but for Tremont as well since many families (including several of my lines) intermarried with the Stones. I copied several pages of it while researching at the DAR Library this spring, and then lo and behold, a couple of weeks ago a copy turns up at my mother's house. Apparently Annie Mae had given a copy to my father at some time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's wonderful! I've found people on genealogy websites asking about the book and if they can get a copy so they are definitely a precious commodity. I can't tell you how many times I've curled up and read through the pages. I just wish someone had taken the time to do the same for the Whitworth side of the family cause I'm having a heck of a time finding information.
I meant to tell you in my last post how glad I was to stumble across your blog. I wasn't born and raised in Itawamba County but I still have family in Fulton and it feels like home when I go to visit. I have wonderful memories of summers spent in Tremont at my granddad's place. Thanks for posting!!
Donna