Thursday, November 6, 2008

Johnson siblings


This photo is not the greatest. The images are blurred, and the faces are out of focus, but I really like this picutre. In spite of its imperfections, we get a lot out of it. This appears to be an unplanned snapshot of a happy group of people, in this case siblings. We can see what kinds of clothes they used to wear, how they wore their hair. And although these siblings are not all hugged up, there's a sense of ease and compatibility with each other.
This is another photo found in Glader Johnson Mills' album, and with the help of family members I've identified the siblings. And no, I did not write on the original image or my only copy. I took copies of several old photographs to a family reunion and asked around as to who the folks were in the photos. This turned out to be an efficient way to capture information, and now I've also got photographs that are labeled for future generations. There is nothing more frustrating to me than pictures of unknown family members from generations back.
In case you can't read the writing, the brothers in the back of the photo are Julius, Donnis, Vonnie and Adron. The sisters in front are Etoye, Glader and Syble. Not pictured are siblings Dorothy and Earnest. These were all children of Fisher D. Johnson and Nora Thornton, and I'm guessing that the picture was taken in the early 1950s.

No comments: